Best 30 Don’t During Job Interview.
Every candidate always tries their level best to be perfect at every level of interview, for which they try and make sure to follow the Dos in an interview. In addition to being sure that you are doing the entire Do’s right, it is equally important for you to know the wrong things to avoid during the interview. Acting inappropriate or making wrong statements that cause concern for the interviewer will lower your chances of you getting hired.
So below are our top 30 Don’t during the job interview;
1. Desperate to sit.
- Once you are in the interview room with the interview panel already present, make sure that you ask before you sit.
- I have seen candidates who always go and seat without permission or they stand behind the chair and start touching the head position of the chair showing their desperation to seat.
- This factor may go as “Hallow effect” in the minds of the interviewer.
2. Desperate for Salary Discussion.
- Most of the candidates are more interested in salary even before they clear the interview such candidates are more prone to have a high-frequency interview since the panel gets a fair idea about your expectations and questions flow the same way as well.
- Some overconfident candidates having multiple job offers tend to divert their focus on the salary expectations much before they get selected and finally get rejected due to their money factor behavior.
3. Salary Discussion Rights.
- Make sure that you get detail info about the salary to be discussed i.e. either with Tech Panel or not, from the concerned HR recruiter.
- Most of the times the Tech Panel is not allowed to discuss on salary related issues since they might create a difference in the selecting procedure by comparing the internal employees with the ongoing interview candidate thereby making it difficult for the recruitment team to hire the best candidate.
- It is the right of the HR Panel to discuss on salary and other personal related issues most of the times.
4. Handshake Issues.
- Some candidates are excited to give interviews and take this excitement with a mutual war at initial step by having a strong bone crunching handshake.
- It is also observed that some candidates, especially girls, give their tip of fingers as handshake which leaves a space in the minds of the panel as being treated as different.
- It is recommended to have a decent handshake and proceed further for the interview.
Read Here :
5. Lack of panel focus.
- It is mostly observed in fresher’s campus hiring or regular hiring that some candidates get too easy with one particular panel in the group interviews and they tend to divert their entire focus on the same panel thereby ignoring the other panels.
- In such cases, if there is group panel pointing system on a particular candidate then definitely the other panels will rate you low due to the difference in lack of attention.
6. No Control on Jokes.
- It may happen that you or panel unknowingly get into a situation which leads to a joke then in such case you need to control the frequency of your laugh.
- Some candidates make a pathetic sound while laughing which may not be liked by the panel.
7. Late for the interview.
- 99% of the job interviews are always scheduled and schedule interviews in corporate play a major role since all employees have their dedicated schedule work.
- If you tend to be late, the schedule pattern of work of that respective panel gets disturbed thereby disturbing the future schedule of work and interviews. In such cases, the candidates may get rejected.
- Also, wearing no watch during an interview has been considered as a point of rejection in some top product based firms like Google, Amazon, etc. considering the fact that no watch means no respect for time.
- It is always recommended that you reach 15 min’s early at the venue and utilize the extra time for freshening or for getting used to the new environment.
8. Dress sexy.
- Always dress for success, Wearing descent color formals are always advisable.
- In the case of Friday or Weekends, always wear a formal or a decent casual wear. (But make sure you discuss this in the mail with the concern HR who schedule your interview.
- Wear Non – Professional colors like Orange or too dark colors.
- Also, it is recommended for girls not to wear too revealing clothes.
9. Lack of research on the firm.[sociallocker]
- Show up knowing nothing about the company and/or position or never visited company’s website will give clues to the interviewer that you are not that keen to work in that organization.
10. Say “No” to Questions:
- “Do you have any questions for me?” the answers should be Yes. Make sure to ask for the exact type of role that will be offered, about the work culture, etc. Your “NO” to the questions may force the interviewer to rethink that you may not be much keen to go deep in certain aspects of life, if hired for a critical project, may not ask questions to clear the doubts.
11. Avoid Perfume.
- We have mentioned this point since we had a panel that was allergic to strong perfumes and after analyzing the interview panel I also noticed that he was not interested in such candidates.
- So it’s always recommended that you have a decent perfume at the interview premises.
12. Criticize previous employees.
- Most of the employees do criticize previous employees, co workers or supervisors in order to prove their point.
- It is always recommended not to talk negatively about any employees especially previous employees since the interviewer will indirectly think, if you can talk negatively about previous employees then you may pass on this negative trend even to your next job.
Read More :
13. Act Over confident.
- Some candidates are so overconfident and act desperate that they assume that they will get selected even before the interview starts.
- Some are prone to design their dreams from the newly asked salary even before they get selected.
- Candidates having multiple offers act most of the time as over confident as if they are least bothered in the output of the interviews. So will always advise such candidates to act neutral as if, it’s their first offer.
14. Check Cell Phone.
- It’s always your daily addicted life styles which force you to behave the same pattern even in interviews.
- Some candidates are so addicted to checking their Whatsapp or any other favorite app that they tend to do so even during the interview process.
- This usually happens when the panel takes a minute to talk to someone during the interview and meanwhile you tend to check your cell for updates.
15. Argue with the Interview.
- It always good to be in a defending position even if the interviewer makes mistake instead of arguing on the same.
- In such cases, it’s better you report or discuss the issue with the concerned HR Recruiter instead of discussing or creating issues during the live interview.
- However, it may happen that the panel may make mistakes so that you can correct it. So, it’s better to correct once and then settle down.
16. Avoid Lie.
- Some candidates are prone to get into a situation where they lie at a sudden point.
- We recommend you that you don’t lie since the panel is expert in judging you through the various signs of nervousness like touching your face or neck too often or sometimes even playing with your hair.
17. Avoid Unnecessary Topics.
- One should not discuss topics of politics or religion or caste or any taboo subjects on roads, hotels or any other public places same way it is advised not to discuss even in interviews as well.
18. Talk Immature.
- Don’t talk like an immature teenager using slang or jargon words like “whatever” or “like you know”.
- Research even shows candidates addicted to Whatsapp chat or social networking sites are more prone to use such immature words.
19. Talk too much.
- It’s crucial that you have control on the way you talk. The more you talk more are you prone to make mistakes and expose your week points.
- Research shows that panels with good listening skills can easily catch your negative points.
20. Bring near and dears for the interview.
- I remember the day when I saw one of my candidate who came for an interview with his Dad. I observed few facts about him and guided him to the interview room.
- After the interview, I also got the same feedback that the candidate is not self-dependent or lacks freedom.
- It is always advised to use Google Maps or travel using authorized Ola or Uber cabs to reach unknown destinations instead of traveling with your near and dear ones for the interview or in the case of the new city better settle down your partner to the nearest mall or nearby shopping arena.
21. Play with the table.
- I have noticed that whenever freshers are nervous they start playing with the table or sometimes even tapping the table in front of the interviewer knowingly or unknowingly. This is one of the stages of the interview where the candidate either become nervous or enter a state of confusion.
22. Use of Chew Gum.
- Some candidates are addicted to smoke or even to have liquor shot 30 minutes before the interview.
- In order to get rid of the smell of cigarettes or liquor, some candidates have chew gum from start to end of the interview process which turns most of the interviewer negative.
23. Interrupt and Confuse the Panel.
- Some candidates are confused in nature and sometimes even confuse the panel and are prone to interrupt the panel on most of the discussions. These candidates usually fail to explain and always take the time to answer the right answer most of the times.
24. Appear Slouch.
- Candidates appear to be lazy or in a dropping posture especially while sitting in the interview.
- These postures may also appear unknowingly, especially when you are too tired or have already visited some other interview or places.
25. Stare your resume.
- Most of the candidates are not aware what exactly they mention in their resume since they copy paste others resume format.
- Such candidates are not confident and in a state of confusion so appear to stare their resume in the middle of the interviews which sounds negative to the interviewer.
26. Attempt for Illegal Activities.
- We remember a girl who had a complaint about a candidate who was taking detail info about most of the other candidates in the interview waiting room.
- We end up closing the interviewer of that candidate within 10 minutes based on the illegal sharing of data or fraud activities.
27. Complaining about the HR Recruiter.
- Make sure that you don’t complain about HR Recruiters who schedule you for the interview since the interviewer always convey or share their feedback even with the HR Recruiter who works on that respective skill set.
- There is also a possibility that such HR Recruiter might take a call to drop you especially in the case of multiple selections and limited positions.
28. Make Excuses.
- Interviewer which hates the most is candidates giving excuses.
- Here, they make a strong perception about the candidate that they are not capable enough to deal with problems and may give some excuses even while working in a live assignment if hired.
29. Appear as to Shop Offers.
- Some candidates appear as if they are giving interviews for practice or appear interviews with an attempt to play with multiple offers or shop offers.
30. Not Confident about Salary.
- If asked at the end of the interviewer, what’s your salary expectations its better that you give confident reply with fixed CTC instead of a range of 30- 50% hike or Industry standard hike.
- It sometimes even gives clue to the interviewer that the candidate is not confident.
- Always analyze your reply in the interview and based on the reply of answers you can ask for 20% -25% (if the interview is not so good), or 30% – 40% hike onwards (if the interview is good to extra ordinary).
So these are our top 30 Don’ts during the job interviews. If you know any, please let us know in the comments below.”